Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I am Proud of You

How many times has someone that you respect and care about told you, "I am proud of you"? How did that those words make you feel when you heard them? Those powerful words came up this afternoon when I was visiting with a colleague and friend. He was recounting a story of a student that he had mentored during some difficult days, early in her high school career. He explained that he talked to her like a father and showed her how choices she was making as a young person would affect her for the rest of her life. Years later, when he saw her, he told her how very proud he was of her and of the great choices she was choosing to make at this point in her life. That story brought tears to my eyes because of the words, "I am proud of you." Occasionally, we all need someone to tell us those words. My dad was the one who used to tell me how proud he was of me. He died when he was 40 and I was 16. His death left a void in my life that has been difficult to fill. There is something about a dad being proud of a daughter that just makes sense. His praise did not come easy and I think that helped to make it more memorable when I finally heard those words. Today, my friend told me he was proud of me and that is when I cried. Don’t get me wrong, I am very blessed to have family, friends, colleagues, and others that believe in me and support me on a daily basis; however, sometimes specific words are needed to soothe the soul. Please take the time to be proud of someone in your life. Those powerful words may be just what someone needs to soothe their soul and make them believe that anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment