Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Hummmm
"To whom much is given, much is required." How many times have I heard those words and even uttered them. Tonight as I was driving home after dinner with my sons, I started thinking about that quote. As educators we are given multiple opportunities on a daily basis to prove the quote true. First, we have the opportunity to work with colleagues, students, and parents on a regular basis. Just think of the brain power that is in a school each and every day. No, not all teachers are on the same academic level and neither are students; however, learning from each other whether a new teacher or a veteran one, is just as important as students learning from their teachers and/or each other. We have to remember that students are always learning something either from the written curriculum or from the unwritten curriculum. Second we are given the privilege to offer students the vast knowledge that we have accumulated throughout the years. From high school diplomas to doctorates and every degree and certification in between, educators have a lot of knowledge to disperse and that knowledge will not help anyone if it is not shared. Finally, as educators, we can see that students are all just children, some in small bodies and others in older and bigger bodies. No matter what the age, they all are seeking something, whether it is knowledge, direction, structure, or just a social experience. What we do with the time we are assigned with students is important and shouldn't be taken lightly. Educators have been given much responsibility and most give all that is required and then 110% more.
Many thanks to the teachers that have made a difference in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The vast amount of knowledge and brain power at schools is one of the big things that draws me toward being a teacher. Even when I'm not in school, I enjoy going to campus to walk around, in and out of the buildings, just knowing how much learning and knowledge is taking place. From new and exciting breakthroughs in science, to intricacies of history that would be forgotten if not shared. Even though I plan to teach Elementary, the potential for learning and sharing knowledge is just as present. Thank you Mrs. Dixon for making me want to be a teacher.
ReplyDeleteAaron, thank you so much for the kind words. You are an amazing man and I am so blessed to have you in my life. Your students are going to be so lucky. :-)
ReplyDelete